My practice covers a broad range of natural resources, environmental and real property matters, including but not limited to: oil and gas regulation; oil & gas and energy litigation; environmental disputes and regulation; and general land use / real property rights issues. In my practice I counsel and represent diverse groups of stakeholders including landowners, oil and gas operators and developers, and nonprofit groups. My practice includes the representation of clients before Texas courts, the Railroad Commission of Texas, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the Texas General Land Office, and the United States Environmental Protection Agency. My practice areas include, but are not limited to, matters involving: all facets of oil and gas exploration, production, and development; oil and gas leases, operating agreements, surface use agreements and other contractual matters; leasing and development of oil and gas on State of Texas lands; soil and groundwater contamination and remediation; oil and gas waste management and disposal; salt water disposal and underground injection control; air emissions and air quality permitting; carbon dioxide injection, capture, and sequestration; groundwater and surface water rights; and surveying and boundary disputes.
Before joining McElroy Sullivan in 2003, I was an associate with the law firm of Strasburger & Price, LLP in Austin, Texas.
In my spare time I enjoy playing guitar and surfing.
- Represented coalition of landowners in successful protest of proposed oil and gas waste disposal landfill and disposal well before the Railroad Commission of Texas; waste disposal permit applications respectively withdrawn and denied, and project halted.
- Represented Environmental Defense Fund before Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and Texas state courts in successful protest of air permit applications for proposed 1,200 MW Las Brisas Energy Center petroleum coke-fired power plant; obtained multiple Proposals for Decision from State Office of Administrative Hearings (“SOAH”) recommending denial of applications; project ultimately abandoned by developer.
- Represent numerous oil and gas companies and landowners on an ongoing basis regarding compliance with Texas Railroad Commission regulations governing oil and gas drilling and production.
HONORS AND DISTINCTIONS
- Order of the Coif
- Austin Bar Association Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section, Chairman, 2011-2012; Board Member, 2008-2012
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Surveying Issues for the Landowner and Operator: A Primer, Tex. Oil and Gas L. J. (2008)
- Royalty Obligations on the Production of Injected Carbon Dioxide, State Bar of Texas 2008 Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Course, San Antonio, Texas (Sept. 26, 2008)
- Investments in Clients: Dangerous Liaisons (co-authored w/ Michael Sean Quinn), 5th Annual Advanced Patent Law Institute (Nov. 16-17, 2000)